[TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?

Aaron Lamb wm.aaron.lamb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 14:30:52 EST 2008

You know with all the technology out there... This is so simple to do.  I am
M$/Nix admin by trade and continuously deal with various remoting/vpn
technologies on a daily basis.   If I can set up a VPN connection and remote
desktop into a network.... From my phone!!  You should be able to do this
with no issues and be able to make it very very secure.

I don't think any type of TCPIP linking should be done via the internet, you
should have to VPN into the network with the remote station then connect
through a secure tunnel either it be PPTP, IPSEC, or SSL tunneling
protocols.  Each approved operator should be assigned a unique VPN key to
gain access or maybe use RADIUS.  This solves the security issue and allows
for user logging.  You would be able to log who logged in, what duration and
from which IP.

Required computer OS?? Doesn't matter as long as the intended user has the
appropriate software for the remote connection.  Linux/Mac uses VNC and M$
used Remote Desktop or VNC based servers can be installed as well. Both Nix
and Mac have RDP clients.  However Home versions of XP and Vista do  not
accept incoming RDP connections.... So VNC may be the most portable & cross
platform based solution.

Required Radio Software? Doesn't matter as long as it will run the radio and
handle remote sessions.  If using a direct TCPIP connection you would just
use the LAN IP of the remote after the VPN has connected.

Audio?  This shouldn't be an issue either, many free VOIP software out there
that will work just fine.  Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and IP-Sound.

Now the logistical nightmare is how do you handle License verification,
Access times and limits?  This is where a localized setup starts to make
sense, but the remote part is a walk in the park.  Very surprised more clubs
haven't set up their stations similar to this.

Aaron
KD4GSL