[TenTec] OMNI VI Chirp Report

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Feb 18 13:09:02 EST 2008

Don's input helped to shake some cobwebs loose...

TT initially shifted the CW BFO from the USB crystal.  Then, I believe in an
effort to help eradicate the chirp, a later design shifted the LSB crystal
up since the excursion to 9,000.400 kHz was smaller.  The frequency stayed
the same, but the manner in which to get there changed.

If you compare schematics of an older VI and a recent VI+, I am confident
you will see opposite crystals being pulled in the CW TX state.  However,
this created a related dilemma in that the two Control Boards are also
slightly different as it is the Control Board that selects which xtal to
shift during CW transmit.

I found some of my archived messages from ten years ago.  Those of you not
yet fully "fed up" with this discussion may want to have a look.  I also
forgot about a test I used in determining chirp: If you switch to FSK, the
Omni will key in CW as normal but without a side-tone.  Now, using an
external receiver, compare the resulting CW note between transmitting in FSK
mode and CW mode.  In most cases, FSK will sound better on another receiver.
The reason is that the FSK frequency was not being pulled as far as the CW
BFO frequency.  Here are the links to the specific archived messages.

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/tentec/1998-September/006782.html

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/tentec/1998-September/006793.html

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/tentec/1998-September/006807.html

Paul, W9AC