[TenTec] Orion III (was: Orion firmware gripes!)

Barry N1EU barry.n1eu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:56:16 EST 2008

Interesting comments Bob!  I have to agree about being a pretty happy
camper with my O as well.  Perhaps above everything else, I value the
listenability of the receiver - it's easy to listen to for hours at a
time with causing fatigue.

In terms of my O3 priorities, having two equal receivers is first on
my list and I gladly give up general coverage capability to allow for
narrow roofing filters at the first i.f.

It should remain a BIG radio - give me more dedicated knobs for
important functions and a big display of all the settings every time.

And it should have a wideband i.f. output for external panadapter
solutions like the $150 LP-PAN that will feed a high performance
soundcard and support CWSkimmer etc.  By next fall, I expect many
serious contesting stations to already be set up with a panadapter
decoding cq'ing stations and creating its own bandmap.  The SDR-5000
and K3 support this now and Ten-Tec needs to join the party.

73,
Barry N1EU