[TenTec] Orion III (was: Orion firmware gripes!)

george goofyham at rochester.rr.com
Tue Feb 26 07:40:39 EST 2008

Am I missing something with not wanting a Sub receiver as good as the Main?
I've owned a O1 and now a O2 for over 4 years  and never had need for a Sub
receiver as good as the Main. I like the Sub the way it is with general
coverage.
The O's helped me to 298 DX contacts in those 4 years. I've never had need
for the quality of the Sub as the Main.
Yes, I do listen up to try and find where the DX station is listening and
never regretted the Sub's inferior reception.
What did I miss over these 4 years?
I'd vote for a real time band scope, equal audio side tone output when going
from speaker to head phones, better distinct colors for various screen
items, non volatile SSB SEND memories, variable HW noise blanker, a more
realistic indication of when the internal tuner didn't match the feed line
like a H-SWR indication on the screen that remains indicated. This H-SWR
indication could be removed if the main VFO frequency was changed
necessitating a re-tune condition. A lot of these items are software items
and I would think implemented if TT had the time for the O's.
How about a move to a modern micro processor, Intel or AMD?
I'll vote to keep my current O2 until the O3 comes up though.
Just my 2 cents.
George W2YJ