[TenTec] Looking for a rig upgrade...

Rick Denney rick at rickdenney.com
Thu Jul 3 14:46:23 EDT 2008

Paul writes...

> Remember to check the software you intend to use with the rig. I got
> a Pegasus as my "digital" rig and intended to use HRD and other
> software with it - figured it was just a faceless Jupiter so if a
> Jupiter was compatible - so would be the Pegasus. Not so. There may
> be several logging programs for those older omni's, and Alex added
> the Paragon II to rigs controlled by BandMaster. But that was about
> it with respect to TenTec gear.

I have no trouble integrating my Omni V.9 (which has an Omni
IV/Icom-style CI-V interface) with DX-Labs Commander, N4PY (of
course), N1MM, etc. Where I have had trouble was in controlling the
Omni V.9 using the N4PY RX-320 software (so that I can use the RX-320
as a sub-receiver), and then trying to integrate that control with
logging software. Each wants it's own direct serial access to the rig.
The prescribed method to accomplish this is to set up the control
software (N4PY in my case) to interface to the logging software using
the PEGASUS.OUT file. Not all logging and contesting software will
read the PEGASUS.OUT file to get rig information. DX-Labs DXKeeper
will; N1MM (near as I have been able to find) will not. But since I
usually use the sub-receiver more with DXing than contesting, that
hasn't been a fatal flaw for me.

And I think those sorts of limitations are beyond the requirement to
support DXing and casual contesting. Like any good ham, I was seeing
how far I could go with integration and still keep my price low (much
lower than the OP's budget).

If you just want to connect an Omni IV into N1MM or whatever, that
should not be much of a problem. That doesn't mean the Omni will
support all of the features provided by control software, however.

I have not experimented with Ham Radio Deluxe at all because it did
not seem to fulfill my requirements for joint RX-320 and Omni V.9
control.

Rick, KR9D