[TenTec] Coax question

Lyle Dunlap qskqrq at grics.net
Sun Jun 1 08:01:09 EDT 2008

Been quite a discussion on connectors, does anyone know if there was a specific reason for the making and/or developing of RG87A?  And then its demise.

 One could be cost of course but since it was used and then given up by one branch of the military I doubt that. One reason I heard  it was too lossy on UHF.   The center conductor, silver plated, stranded, similar to RG 8 or 214, etc. in size then solid teflon, then  two silver plated shields, teflon wrapping and then a fiberglass outer cover.)  (50 or 52 ohms impedance) Slightly larger in dia than RG-8 but UHF connectors could be used.

I used some outside to feed  20 and 40 M beams for years living in Hawaii but I did give the fiberglass covering a coat of varnish.  Must of been intended for inside use.  Just curious if someone knows the story of  this coax cable. Rather curious is all.

Lyle W9FCX