[TenTec] Coax question

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Sun Jun 1 11:49:32 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 07:01 -0500, Lyle Dunlap wrote:
> Been quite a discussion on connectors, does anyone know if there was a specific reason for the making and/or developing of RG87A?  And then its demise.
>
>  One could be cost of course but since it was used and then given up by one branch of the military I doubt that. One reason I heard  it was too lossy on UHF.   The center conductor, silver plated, stranded, similar to RG 8 or 214, etc. in size then solid teflon, then  two silver plated shields, teflon wrapping and then a fiberglass outer cover.)  (50 or 52 ohms impedance) Slightly larger in dia than RG-8 but UHF connectors could be used.

I think cost and the solid teflon that size made it stiff. It was used
in a fantasy article in QST once feeding an HF dipole when RG-8 cost a
dime a foot, it cost several bucks a foot. Seems to me I have a length
of it with coax connectors on the ends. It would be handy at power
levels and frequencies where RG-213 or RG-8 can't stand the heat.

Lots of classic RG specs have been abandoned by the military, either to
reduce their number or to incorporate new designs and materials.

> I used some outside to feed  20 and 40 M beams for years living in Hawaii but I did give the fiberglass covering a coat of varnish.  Must of been intended for inside use.  Just curious if someone knows the story of  this coax cable. Rather curious is all.

I have an 80m inverted V fed with the miniature single shielded version
RG-141. Size of RG-58. Its gone intermittent, I don't know if its
feedline or antenna or connections. Most of the fiberglass has blown
off. It's not handling outside and dangling well.

RG-142 is the double shielded RG-223 version made of Teflon and silver
plated copper.

> Lyle W9FCX

73, Jerry, K0CQ