[TenTec] Orion II A9 Board Failure...Again!

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Thu Jun 26 13:53:16 EDT 2008

Hopefully we have made enough noise here that TT heard us and is aware of
the problem!  They should re-evaluate the specs for these capacitors and
immediately upgrade their unsold stock and future runs.  Any Orion/Orion II
sent back to the factory for any reason should have these caps upgraded,
especially the ones shipped back due to them failing.  The ones they
replaced in mine 10 months ago just didn't cut it.  TT's cost to upgrade to
the better units is probably on the order of $1.50 per radio since the cost
to by the upgrade units from Mouser in one-up quantities is only $4.05 for
all three caps total plus shipping.

Other than the three capacitors we have been discussing in this thread (C6,
C7, C9 on the A9 board) and an occasional small encoder failure, I haven't
heard of any other trouble spots.  The radio is still a top-line value and
otherwise very reliable.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com