[TenTec] Orion II A9 Board Failure...Again!

Dick Williams k8ztt at mho.com
Thu Jun 26 17:40:27 EDT 2008

Well, my O II quit right before a contest weekend that I had hoped to pick
up a few new ones.  Called Ten Tec and upon describing the symptoms, was
told it was most likely two capacitors on the power supply borad and they
would send me a couple in the mail.

Problem was that I wanted to use the radio;  simple answer was to drive to
Radio Shack and purchase a couple of 470uf  35WV ones.   When I tore into
the O II and found the A9 board, it was obvious that one of the caps had
failed.  Replaced it with the one from Radio Shack and I was back in
business.

That was about 4 months ago and though I have received the new ones from Ten
Tec, I have not bothered to replace the Radio Shack one or the other
"original" one that is prone to failure.   If and when one of these fails, I
will  replace both with the new ones from Ten Tec.

In any case, if there is a Radio Shack near you, there is no need to be down
more than drive time plus about 20 mins to replace the bad cap.

Dick K8ZTT