[TenTec] proper caps for Omni V?

Joe Roberts jroberts at io.com
Tue Mar 4 16:39:57 EST 2008

My sense is that it is best to identify the caps one by one.

There aren't really that many different values and some are more
involved with digital noise bypass then others, so there are application
specific considerations.

For example, the 4.7 uf in the voltage multipler on the display
board...these can be good general purpose caps if that's all you can
get, while the bypass and decoupling on the logic board should be low
ESR types of the highest specification you can muster.

You can get far with a bag of 1uF, ten 10 uF, a half-dozen 100 uF and a
couple 220uf. Unless time constants are involved (e.g. AGC and QSK caps,
audio coupling), you can always go higher on the C if they will fit.

In a few spots, such as the 12V decoupling caps on the logic and AF
board, high capacitance "motherboard" caps that are state of the art.
super low ESR can be employed to good effect. Late model versions, i.e.
fresh ones, can be found on ebay --search "motherboard cap".

Also I noted that a few of the caps appeared to be mini versions so
mechanical particulars might come into play, depending on the size of
the caps you obtain.

Good luck! The project is well worth the effort.

Joe N5KAT