[TenTec] Omni VI S-Meter lighting

Carter k8vt at ameritech.net
Sun May 11 09:12:38 EDT 2008

Hamdriver66 at aol.com wrote:
>  Having been an Omni VI owner for several months, I have really
>  enjoyed operating a fine CW rig.  I have noticed that the S-meter
>  lighting is a  somewhat dim for my liking, though.

Mike,
Thanks for the tip. An example of "ham engineering" at its finest!

However, as you said you only had the radio a few months (and did not
say which Omni VI that you had), you may not be familiar with the following:

If you have an early set (not an "option 1-2-3 version"), there is a
button on the very upper right of the push button cluster labeled "DIM".
This is to set the digital display and S-meter brightness. Press the
"DIM" button and use the up and down arrows to choose a brightness level
to your liking between 1 and 15.

If you have an Option 1-2-3 radio, the 'DIM' button was replaced with
the 'ST' (side tone) button, so do the following:

Press 'Lock' for two seconds.

The display will then say 'Choose'

Press '1' for menu 1

Then rotate the main tuning knob until 'int' appears; this stands for
int(ensity)

Use the up and down arrows to choose a level of brightness between 1 and 15

Press 'Lock' twice to save and exit

Hope this helps.

73,
Carter  K8VT