[TenTec] PTO adjustment

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sat Sep 13 04:31:28 EDT 2008

Stuart & Aaron,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I certainly didn't check the 'pistol' for straightness while the PTO was
disassembled, but there is no eccentricity evident when the tuning knob
is rotated.

I like the idea of "wavy" washers - I'll probably try that out when I do
the next rebuild.

I guess much of the problem stems from manufacturing tolerances. The PTO
which is slightly "stiff" using 3 washers felt "loose" with 2 washers
before its rebuild - presumably that must be due to differing tolerances
on the replacement parts, or perhaps wear on the old parts.

Then again, perhaps I'm being too "picky". It didn't seem like a problem
until all three could be compared alongside one another :)

Thanks again for your help,

Steve G3TXQ