[TenTec] Audio Hum on Omni-VII

Ed w3nr at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 13:11:49 EDT 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:56:27 -0700
"Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> I'm an audio systems design consultant and consultant on EMC in audio
> systems (that is, hum, buzz, and RFI). There is much misunderstanding
> about the unbalanced interconnection of ham gear. Much of what is
> written about it is WRONG, including in some ARRL publications. You
> do NOT need "isolation," you need simple BONDING between the laptop
> and the radio.
>
> To see what's REALLY going on with your hum and buzz, and to fix your
> problems without a transformer and using nothing more than plain
> ordinary copper wire, see
>
> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf
>
> and the Chapter on Solving Problems in the Shack in
>
> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC
> Audio Systems Group, Inc.
> Chair -- AES Technical Committee on EMC

Excellent presentation, very well written and easy to follow. Your
efforts are to be commended.

I've used the interface you described for the last 8-9 years. Never a
problem. Hams continue to amaze me at the prices they are willing to
pay for advertising hype.

73.....thanks for your contribution.

Ed W3NR