[TenTec] Audio Hum on Omni-VII

Robert Close rclose at nhwisp.com
Thu Sep 18 13:31:37 EDT 2008

Jim, no mention of differential amplifiers? No mention of the difference
between balanced and unbalanced methods of signal distribution?  "600ohm"
audio is still very much used, albeit under different names. The 600 ohm is
a somewhat arbitrary number, and when devices were inefficient it was more
efficient to match the impedance for maximum transfer of energy without
introducing phase distortions.    Your "solution" works , in that it reduces
the problem to inaudible levels, which is probably "good enough", but it
doesn't address the root cause of un-balancing a balanced feed by using a
"coaxial" connecting wire. (one conductor in a shield), and how the common
mode problem rears its ugly head, as well as the ground-loop problems.
Isolation of grounds is always effective when we are talking about
ground-loop issues cause by unbalanced connections.  Stick in a transformer,
balance the audio feed, make the ground independent of the signal, and poof,
"no problem".   Nice website you have, but since you opened the door to
discussion of audio, be a bit more specific in your statements, or nuts like
me are going to send you email.  I am not as cool as you, since I don't
"consult" in the audio field,  I just design and "do" for the last 25 years.
One thing I do know, is once you add RF into the equation a lot of the audio
"solutions" fall apart if the root cause of the problem is not addressed.
73

,