[TenTec] G5RV

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Sun Feb 1 14:07:53 EST 2009

I used to be suspicious of the idea of using say, a 135 ft long doublet, fed
with ladder line  (or any low loss line really) as compared to various
"engineered" antennas.

That is, until we changed our field day antennas one year to that design.

What an improvement !

Later, I did some real analysis and replaced my opinion with facts.

I would only add that if you really, really, really hate the idea of using
ladder line, you can get several really low loss types of coax, much better
than the 213 or the 58 that too many people use, and thus get by with pretty
low losses.

I honestly don't think most people realize that in so many cases, most of
their 100 watts is dissipated in the feed line system.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ

P. S.   Love the example given of 250 foot of rg-58 measuring 50 ohms
impedance even with nothing connected to it or with a short circuit.  Its
true - and kinda funny.