[TenTec] bill orr article

Bob Close rclose at nhwisp.com
Sun Feb 1 16:31:52 EST 2009

Drilling through a window--wow, you are a pretty confident person!  I took a
different approach, where I drilled two 5/8 holes through the side of the
house at the same approximate spacing being careful not to grab the
insulation.  I carefully pushed two 1/2 plastic conduit through the holes,
and cut them flush with the inside and outside walls, caulking  them
carefully.  Inside and outside, I mounted a couple of porcelain insulators
designed to pass a wire through a chassis.  I ran a piece of 12 AWG  solid
copper wire through the conduits to join the outside insulators to the
inside. I know that there are probably some impedance bumps, but that is a
problem in theory only at HF frequencies.  At 2KW there is no warming at
all, I am well insulated from any wooden structure, and outside I have a
little piece of siding to act as a "roof" to keep the terminals dry. I
connect the window line to the insulators using a gadget I made up out of a
couple of dual banana plugs/jacks.  When not using the antenna I pull the
connection off and plug the banana plug into a well-grounded copper plate
with holes the appropriate size and distance.  Clean, fast and it's worked
just fine for ten years.  I had the ladder line vaporized by a direct
lightning strike while grounded with no damage to anys inside equipment.
amazing and/or lucky!
K1SRR
Bob