[TenTec] Omni 6 "lights"

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Tue Feb 3 19:02:04 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 18:47 -0500, Jim Goudie wrote:
> Ken and everyone out there...
>
> I finally opened up the Omni VI and exercised all the connectors
> inside... and I haven't had the problem with the meter lights and
> LED's going "dark" since.  So, that problem seems to have been
> solved, but, my heart sank when I noticed that I had created a new problem...
>
> I put the rig back together and now the audio was muffled, distorted,
> and signals were weak at best.  Then I discovered that the PBT
> control had no effect on the audio whatsoever.  So, I opened up the
> rig again, applied power, and poked around a bit.  Finally, I decided
> to try re-exercising the connectors going to the PBT control on the
> back of the panel.  When I turned it back on, I gave a huge sigh of
> relief.  It was working properly again... and continued to do so even
> after I put it all back together!  (I had visions of really messing
> things up somehow... :-()
>
> Thanks for the help... and just wanted to report that it's working
> well, in spite of me...
> Jim, AF3Z

Now, in preparation for the next time these events reoccur, you need to
acquire a dropper  bottle of Cramolin's DeoxIT, and to apply a half  or
quarter drop to each connector contact surface to make the contact
cleaning last much longer. Antique Electronic Supply is one known dealer
for it.

73, Jerry, K0CQ