[TenTec] O2 output level with PSK aux

jmiller1706 at cfl.rr.com jmiller1706 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 15:17:39 EST 2009

What I saw as a "sine" envelope is apparently normal for PSK, and probably not some kind of ground problem.  See waveform descriptions at:
http://www.ssiserver.com/info/pskmeter/pacificon2002.pdf or http://www.rcarc.org/presentations/PSK31.pdf
But the fact that it does have a varying envelope could account for the lower average power readings.

Waveform shaping is used to soften "key clicks" caused by sudden phase reversals.  "In PSK31, a cosine shape is used. To see what this does to the waveform and the spectrum, consider transmitting a sequence of continuous polarity-reversals at 31 baud. With cosine shaping, the envelope ends up looking like full-wave rectified 31Hz AC."  http://bipt106.bi.ehu.es/psk31theory.html

This is a learning process so I am hoping this is nothing more than an operator problem, most likely it is.  Thanks for the interest, but you may be hearing more.  ;-)

Jim N4BE