[TenTec] How many STILL waiting

douglas.shock at gmail.com douglas.shock at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 00:32:00 PST 2009

 Now that is what I call bad luck. Thanks for the light humor

From: k7wpz at aol.com

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:51:42
To: <tentec at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How many STILL waiting

Oh my gosh. All of these comments are so true. I did not realize how crappy by Orion 1 and Orion 11 were until I read all of these comments on the reflector. As a result, I boxed up both of these radios and set them in a corner until all of the promised updates were released. How could I have been so misled? In addition, I never realized how crappy my FT-2000D was until I read the truth in all of these comments on the reflector. So, I boxed it up and set it in the corner on top of the Orion 11. When will these promised Yaesu updates arrive? In addition I learned that the display on my FT-1000 MP Mark V was too dim, and the selectivity was inadequate, without a slug of additional filters. So, I boxed it up and set it on top of the FT-2000D. Maybe there will be an after-market update for this disappointing, hard-to-view rig. Then, I learned that my Omni VII was an inadequate transceiver because the sweep was sophomoric and, well, it was a rig for newbie’s and not adequate for professional amateurs. So, I boxed it up and set it on top of the FT-2000D, hoping for some TenTec upgrade. They owe me. Then, of course, I had a problem with my IC-7700 and had to send it back to ICOM service in Seattle. Obviously not ready for prime time. Fortunately, I was able to box it up and set it on top of my Omni VII before I suffered from the horror of trying to use such a crappy, refurbished radio. I went for my IC-7000 but, then, I found out on the reflector
that the audio sucked unless I sent off my mike for some sort of retrofit. Phew, close one. Fortunately, I still had the box and I was able to pack it up until there was some sort of obligated update. Thank goodness I still had my Heathkit AT-1 transmitter and Hallicrafters S-38C. And, by gosh, I haven’t seen any informative bashing on the associated reflectors on this gear. So, I and my 6L6 are smoking my crystal-controlled, cw frequencies. There is no way I will use any of this other crappy equipment until I get the updates I demand and deserve.

By the way, I am taking down my new Dream Beam 36 and replacing it with a 20 Meter dipole. I learned that the spindles may break and Stepper never answers any e-mails. Just in time, I am sure. Back to reliable copper wire. At last, I am happy with my hobby. By the way, does anybody have a spare 40 meter crystal, or, possibly, a Gonset 2 Meter Communicator. I haven’t heard any informative updates on that fine piece of equipment lately.

Respectfully,

David w8udx first licensed as wn8udx in November, 1949