[TenTec] Omni VI - AGC and RF Gain Question

Carter k8vt at ameritech.net
Tue Jan 27 15:15:28 EST 2009

Bruce Warner wrote:
>  Hi - I purchased an Omni VI through this list recently, and just have
>  a general question.  When I have the RF gain fully clockwise then
>  engage the AGC either in slow or fast, it distorts the speaker, but
>  when I pull back on the RF gain a few notches (say to the 3 o'clock
>  position) then the AGC no longer distorts and it picks up the signal
>  while reducing the background noise.  I don't have a copy of the
>  manual, so is this the normal setting to back off the RF gain when
>  using the AGC (or do I have a problem with my rig)?  Thanks.

It sounds to me of the classic symptom of either a broken AVC, or as
Walt said, the AVC being turned off. As you are new to the rig, the
latter is the most likely. Please follow Walt's instructions for making
sure the AVC is ON (*two* switches: off/on and fast/slow) and report
back to us.

73,
Carter  K8VT