[TenTec] Titan 425 RF Choke Replacement?

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sun Jul 12 18:08:42 PDT 2009

Hi Rich,

     I don't have an answer to your question, just more questions.

     I have never had any trouble with my 425. I have used it mostly on
160 meters. A friend has a Amp Supply LK-550 which burned up a choke. I
think his burned up from use on 160 meters, or perhaps it was 80 meters.
I'll try to get the details about what was used for a replacement.
    What band were you operating when your choke smoked?
     It is my understanding that chokes typically get fried when they
are self resonant at a frequency that the amplifier is putting out on,
such as the intended band of operation, or at some harmonic or other
spur that the amplifier is generating significant power at. Every choke
will have one or more self resonant frequencies, and that makes it a bit
tricky to choose a choke for use in an amplifier that covers all bands
from 160 to 10 meters.

Ken N6KB