[TenTec] Orion-1 problem

John T. Fleming john at w3gqj.net
Thu Jun 25 17:16:47 PDT 2009

Bill,

Apply pressure along the sides on the display between the display and the
buttons on the right and left sides of the Orion. Underneath the buttons are
the connections sockets for the pins linking the various boards mounted
behind the display. Also have you tried a master reset as well as the
battery disconnect routine? If you are using the latest software, the
signals are down using the AF AGC vs. RF AGC. If you are using an earlier
version of the software, there is a bug if the sub receiver is on AM and the
main receiver is on SSB and you transmit. The headphones loose their audio.
It is fixed in the latest version.

Based on the sporadic problem, I am going to guess that it is oxidation on
the pins for the board behind the display which should be stopped by
applying pressure along the buttons. It is enough to make the pins contact
the sockets completely.

73,
John