[TenTec] Meter replacement in Omni VI and Paragon II

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sun May 3 17:32:04 PDT 2009

Hi Scott,

     Thanks for the information. You are right, the job is pretty easy.
A total of twelve screws removed and two loosened. For anyone else
interested, here are the details for an Omni VI or Paragon II.

1) Remove eight screws holding top and bottom cabinet pieces on, and
remove the cabinet, unplugging the speaker in the case of a Paragon II.

2) Loosen, but do not remove two lower screws that hold front panel
assembly to the rest of the radio.

3) Remove two upper screws that hold panel assembly to radio.

4) Pivot front panel assembly forward to access back of meter.

5) Remove two screws that hold meter retaining plate in position. Remove
plate and meter.

6)  Mark or photograph meter so that correct connection will not be
forgotten when meter has been disconnected. (I write resistor color
codes 0 and 9 on the meter with a "Sharpie" pen to indicate black and
white wires.)

7) Disconnect wires from old meter. Easiest just to cut them off. Strip
insulation off ends of wires and solder to new meter, being very careful
to not melt plastic meter case.
To keep finger prints from new meter, I did not remove meter from the
plastic bag it was shipped in, until after it was connected. I was able
to install the meter without ever touching the front of it.

8) Undo steps 5 through 1. Check that both pilot lamps are working
before putting top cover back on.

DE N6KB