[TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 83, Issue 9

jfriend31 at comcast.net jfriend31 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 16 09:43:23 PST 2009

Amen!

jack

ak7o

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richards" <jruing at ameritech.net>
To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 6:15:54 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 83, Issue 9

Bragging about your experience and credentials does give you greater credibility.

Besides, you express a particularly egocentric point of view.  The world of ham radio is big enough to include guys who are not electronics engineers who can fix or build their gear from scratch.   For me, this is a diversion from my career, a hobby and something new to learn -- an "avocation" not "vocation."   Moreover, your anger is showing.   It is inappropriate and unreasonable to demand we all have the same abilities and expertise.   Some of us are new at this - I suppose you were new and unschooled at one time, although you give the impression otherwise.

You miss the point of the thread - These guys are not merely whining over a lack of new features...  TT represented there would be ongoing development, including new features and updated firmware to fix bugs and refine the product over time.   Moreover, TT made those representations intentionally to induce them to buy the rig, and they relied upon those representations when deciding to buy the rig, in the first place.   They are not really asking for more than what TT told them to expect.  They are merely disappointed TT had not delivered everything they said would be forthcoming.

I presume the converse is also true.  Had TT not made such representations, these buyers would not expect TT to continually upgrade the rig or provide new features without cost, and would have expectations similar to what buyers of other products might have.  I, for one, purchased an Omni VII on the strength of similar representations - but must await development of a real time band scope TT said was under development and would be forthcoming.   Under the Uniform Commercial Code, for example, where a vendor fails to specify a time, a "reasonable" time is implied by law.  I won't participate in an debate over what is "reasonable" under the circumstances, but one might argue two or three years from date of purchase is a reasonable time to expect to realize the same.

So, I do not think these guys are guilty of unreasonable impatience, or unduly demanding new features for free - they are only looking to realize what TT lead them to expect at the time they purchased the rig.

But, that is just MY take....