[TenTec] soldering pl259

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Tue Apr 13 09:33:53 PDT 2010

Apparently not widely available. Multicomp is a Farnell brand and Newark
is a Farnell subsidiary and shows them as having a Multicomp part number
MC17-01B-5 and Newark catalog number 94M6035 at $6.14 each. None in
stock. Direct ship from Farnell UK, $20 handling fee and 109 days lead
time. Their suggested substitutes won't fit on RG-213 no matter how big
the hammer. One is a UHF barrel, the others fit RG-223 which is
distinctly smaller than RG-213.

On the converse we have N connectors with the bad classic PL-259 solder
interface. Available from places like www.thewireman.com maybe their
part number 1204. Who also show a PL-259 with clamp number 1105, but no
details or pictures.

Or the solder shell N part number 6633S from
http://www.cablexperts.com/cfdocs/cat.cfm?ItemGroup=15&itmsub=1&bskt=0&USA_ship=1&c=0

73, Jerry, K0CQ

On 4/13/2010 4:34 AM, Dave wrote:
> Good morning...A bit off topic I know, and I don't want to "teach my granny
> to suck eggs" but just in case there is anyone who has'nt heard of them, we
> can get PL259 plugs in the UK which fit in the same way as N types. ie the
> outer does not need soldering, it is clamped in the same way as with the N
> type. siutably assembled they can be water tight and though they are more
> expensive than the others they can be recovered and used again. They are
> branded "MULTICOMP" and are sold in the UK by Farnell under the part number
> 1169714. I am sure  they will be available in the colonies too!
> Dave...G4DAX

In times past, I have ordered direct from Farnell on line, but to get to
a catalog search page I had to say I was in the UK. They took plastic,
and shipped rapidly and without to high and expense and called on their
nickel when I messed up the credit card number.

I've had some poor dealings with Newark in past decades so as I've told
the local rep (and because of that no longer receive printed catalogs)
"The devil will be sending out for hot coffee before I order from Newark
again unless I need the part badly and Newark is the only place in the
WORLD that has it." I used to have an account at Newark and used them
quite a lot. Minimum order, double shipping on split shipments, and fees
for credit card use made me mad.

73, Jerry, K0CQ