[TenTec] Ten-Tec Rig Comparisons

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Fri Apr 30 01:42:55 PDT 2010

On 4/29/2010 4:03 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:

		> Newer hams need to listen to HF bands for
		many hours and under differing conditions to
		condition their ears to optimum "Communications
		Quality", if they want to succeed with weak
		signal work.

Yes.  Yes.   Well said.

As a relatively new ham, I suffer from this, although with more
experience and more time on the air, I am getting better at it.
But it IS an acquired skill.

My first experiences contesting were especially challenging and
I had to really concentrate to get the other station's call sign
on the first call.    A couple of times, I just told the guy
I was a rookie - and he would slow down and enunciate better,
so I could get it quickly.   I appreciated that.  Many older hams
slur their call signs as a single utterance and that is particular
difficult for the new ham to make out.    The really good contestants
seem to enunciate clearly all the time as it obviates the other
station from asking for repeats.