[TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.]

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sun Aug 8 13:28:05 PDT 2010

The benefits on receive are that they can reduce the noise picked up by
the outside of the coax. That noise can come from the house, or the
neighborhood, or a vertically polarized storm many miles away, presuming
your antenna is horizontal and discriminating against those noise
sources. But if the DX signal was being heard by the vertical pickup on
the feed line, it may get weaker.

The benefits on transmit are slight, unless that coax radiation has been
putting more RF into nonham equipment like the neighbor's stereo. There
is a chance of reducing the vertically polarized component of your
transmitted signal improving the spacial "purity" of your signal, but if
the choke is more dissipative than reactive the increase in the
horizontally polarized component will be too little to measure at the
distant station's location.

73, Jerry, K0CQ