[TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.]

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Aug 8 14:43:57 PDT 2010

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:19:19 -0400, Richards wrote:

>Hi Jim.... I am working my way through your piece, and getting the
>drift that  clamp-on ferrite beads do not typically hurt me, but unless
>I have A LOT of them, they won't help much (if at all).

That's exactly right. The only thing they hurt is your pocketbook. And,
as compared to turns wound around a ferrtie core, they also hurt by
adding more weight.

>And yet, if I read your Figure 35  on page 26 correctly  (unlikely, but
>I will try, anyway...)  it seems to say one needs A LOT of ferrite beads
>to make a substantial difference

That's exactly right.

>I am especially interested in whether or not they might have more or
>better impact on a receiving antenna than on one I transmit with.

The primary benefits on a TX antenna are reduced RF in the shack, and in
your (and your neighbor's) living room.  A string of beads IS enough to
prevent pattern distortion.

73, Jim Brown K9YC