[TenTec] Original Orion Firmware

wa3fiy at radioadv.com wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Mon Aug 16 11:14:58 PDT 2010

Greetings John,

I use firmware  2.063Xg.

Here are the issues I have with the Orion (Classic) firmware 2.063Xg.  I
think this is beta firmware but it is the first of the V2.xxx firmware
that has worked well enough for me to continue using it.    It works well
with the following exceptions:

1 - Low output from the Aux I/O (and I think LINE) jack.  Seems much lower
that the same radio running V1 firmware.

2 - SPOT signal very loud!   Too loud to be useful.  I would prefer it to
be no louder than the SIDETONE signal.   I would also like it to be
adjustable, maybe from a menu option.

3 - SIDETONE signal adjustment range limited.  It seems that I can obtain
full sidetone output at a very low sidetone level setting, making the
adjustments very coarse.  I would like to see the sidetone level (and
spot) just reach clipping level at full setting.  (I think that is 100)
Now I run it at about 8 and the steps are very course.

4 - I realize the following is a matter of personal opinion but I very
much prefer a fixed level sidetone and spot level like all the older Ten
Tec's.  That is to say I don't like the levels changing as I change the
volume control.   I have a hearing problem and need to find a "sweet spot"
for levels.  It's pretty narrow.  Once I find that level for sidetone and
spot (and I suppose monitor if I worked SSB which I do not) I'd like it to
stay there as I adjust volume for various conditions.

5 - Please slow down the MULTI sensitivity in making various adjustments.
It is really touchy to fine tune.

Thanks for your work on this.

73,

-Lee-