[TenTec] Eagle comparison vs. TS-590S

kf6e at mail.com kf6e at mail.com
Mon Dec 6 10:24:12 PST 2010

The comparison I'm interested in is between the Eagle and the Kenwood TS-590S.  They are essentially the same price and seem to have similar specs.

 I'm a casual user, sometimes chase DX, do mostly CW and digital modes, and like to make contacts during contests but don't go for score.

I currently have a TS-480HX and an Omni V.  The Omni has significant advantages on CW (the 270 Hz filter in the Kenwood rings like crazy), and sounds a bit better on SSB (I always get compliments on the audio with the Omni, rarely with the Kenwood).  Other than that, the differences are the 3 dB in transmit power and ergonomics.  Most of the Kenwood hides beneath the desk; the Omni takes up about ten times as much space as the Kenwood control head.

I've read the specs on both rigs.  What I don't know is, how would the specs affect my operation?  Would I even notice a 3 dB difference in dynamic range, for example?

So, sitting at my desk on a Saturday afternoon, just looking to see who's on, maybe looking for a new country, which is the better rig?  The Elecraft K3 is a bit more expensive, but if there's a comparison to that, I'd also be interested.

73,
Frank
KF6E