[TenTec] Omni VII Heading Back to TT Tomorrow-RX Audio Hum Problem Persists

David and Dianne on Comcast dhhdeh at comcast.net
Sun Feb 7 14:27:05 PST 2010

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick FYI with a future follow-up when problems are resolved.

Despite many suggestions of performing a master reset, tightening board
screws and re-seating connectors throughout my 18 month old Omni VII,
the audio hum problem persists.

Upon a cold start the audio in the speakers has a distinct a/c hum that
is multiplies 10 fold when the tune button is pushed with or with the
tuner in line, loading into a dummy load. It's deafening.

Then about 30-45 minutes later its completely cleared up and gone only
to return with the next cold start.

Some component, somewhere, perhaps in the audio circuit, is temperature
sensitive and getting ready to fail outright.

Back to TT it goes tomorrow.

Needless to say I am a bit disappointed. Over many years of owning new
TT gear, I have yet to own one that has not experienced a hardware
failure of some kind fairly early on. I'm hoping that UPS has recovered
from the holiday rush and has the 'A' team working this week.

Offering this posting as info for the knowledge base and to see if
anyone else has experienced anything similar.

73 de N1LQ-Dave