[TenTec] High stability frequency reference oscillator for the Orion II

Linwood Davis linbdavis at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 5 18:42:50 PST 2010

Hi Martin,

Martin Ewing wrote:
> Lin,
>
> I'm all in favor of a higher stability oscillator.  Don't know if my
> enthusiasm stretches to $135, though!
>
> A couple of features I would be interested in for the oscillator:
>
> 1. Electrical trimming, so you can tweak the setting via an external
> voltage (pot.) Unfortunately, the electrically trimmed oscillators
> seem to have significantly worse phase noise, and that might be
> unacceptable.

It is electrically trimmed. Here's the trim app note:
"http://abracon.com/Support/AOCJY Vref App Note.pdf "

and phase plots are here:
"http://abracon.com/Precisiontiming/AOCJY Typ Phase Noise Plots.pdf"
Remember that this clocks a DDS. The highest output is 9.425, so
20*log(44.55/9.425) - so at the least, there's an extra 13.5 db
reduction of the phase noise from the oscillator.
Also, there is this nice write-up on Ten-Tec's site:
/radio.*tentec*.com/file_download/114/566_syn_article.pdf/

> 2. Phase lock to external (10 MHz) standard.  This is particularly
> good for VHF / microwave folks.

Can be done using appropriate PLL circuitry.

> I don't expect we're going to get all these features from a vendor at
> a reasonable price.  I do think it's a shame that TT didn't pay a few
> bucks more for a better TCXO as standard equipment.  Maybe someone
> will home brew a solution?

That's what I'm attempting here.

> 73 Happy New Year
>
> Martin AA6E
>
> p.s. Thanks for the link to my blog post.  I checked it out and found
> that all my figures had been wiped.  They are now restored for your
> viewing pleasure!

No problem!

Lin,
WB1AIW