[TenTec] OMNI VI Problems- any ideas?

Steve Halliburton wa2soc at hsix.com
Thu Jul 22 04:30:01 PDT 2010

Hi, John....

I had a similar situation with my O6/3 which I also bought used.
In my case it was extreme enough so the radio would actually
stop working completely once in a while.  It turns out that the
OCXO (mail oscillator oven controlled, on the logic board)
would drift so far off that it would stop oscillating.  There was
an extremely touchy adjustment but it was almost impossible
to keep it in spec.  One possibility was that the trimmer cap
used for the adjustment was old/bad/dirty/etc.

In my case, the solution was to replace the original OCXO with
the TCXO (temperature compensated instead of oven controlled)
oscillator used in the later 6+ version.  I used the official TT part
but there are lots of other choices out there that will work also.
If you elect to use the TT part, it comes with instructions for the
replacement; the instructions don't mention disconnecting the oven
for the original crystal but I also did that.

Anyway, the result is a much more stable radio with almost no
warm-up drift.  It's much easier to put on frequency too.  If your
radio has the OCXO I'd suggest the change even if this isn't your
problem.

To check this out, try fiddling the trimmer cap for the master
oscillator.  If it seems unusually touchy, I'll bet this is your issue.
If you need more info on this, just email me.

73, Steve, WA2SOC