[TenTec] Paragon Problem

KA6UUP ka6uup at comcast.net
Thu Mar 11 17:23:51 PST 2010

Thanks Jerry, I should have mentioned that those were some of the things
I did initially. I will check for bad solder joints. This radio went
through TenTec just before I bought it but maybe that is the problem. Of
course since I posted the message the problem has disappeared. I am
beginning to suspect the 961 power supply.I should have mentioned that
the radio had set for about a year with only occasional use so maybe it
is a case of dried out electrolytics or something similar. I left the
radio on all night too see what would happen and I have not heard the
problem today.(knocking on wood) Again, thjanks for the suggestion. 73,
Chuck KA6UUP Message: 16 Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:24:01 -0600 From:
"Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj at weather.net> Subject: Re: [TenTec]
Paragon Problem To: tentec at contesting.com Message-ID:
<4B991921.80709 at weather.net> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed On 3/11/2010 2:04 AM, KA6UUP wrote:

> >  My 586 Paragon has developed a noise problem. It sounds like lightening
> >  crashes but lower in frequency.
> >  It starts after the rig has been on for a while (1/2 hour or so) and
> >  will go away for a while if the rig is switched off and about a minute later
> >  back on.
> >  It is not affected by disconnecting the antenna.
> >  It does not show on the s-meter but is controlled by the volume control.
> >  It is present on all bands, all modes and all filter widths.
> >  My plan is to get some cold spray and start looking for a noisy resister
> >  etc.

First tighten all the board mounting/grounding screws. Then get some
Cramolin Deoxit (I prefer the dropper bottle) and apply a quarter drop
to each cable connector pin and exercise the cable connections to clean
them.

If that fails, then rather than a massive attack of heat and cold,
remove one baord at a time and look for unsoldered or poorly soldered
connections. The Paragon has had some history or poor soldering. Heat
the bad ones.

THEN go with alternating heat and cold to find more bad soldering and
components.