[TenTec] Yamaha CM-500

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Mon Mar 22 06:44:20 PDT 2010

Last year as I was preparing for the second weekend of 10G + operation
on a hilltop in Minnesota, I planned to build a box to do PTT and a tiny
built in CW key (both using microswitches) with an adaption to the 8 pin
RJ-45 used by the Yaesu I used for the IF. I gathered parts but when I
hooked up any of my microswitches to the key jack, I found I couldn't
send good CW, maybe copyable but not good. A leaf switch contact set
from a lever switch seemed better, but I took along a Western Union
model 2A legless key on a steel base and it worked fine. So I used only
the headphones of the Yamaha set. On a hill top in the sun and breeze
operated 17 or 18 hours over two days, but didn't sit at the radio
continuously because it took the rover group time to move from point to
point.

I didn't detect any ear pinching nor the weight on my ears from the
headset (unlike my hearing protector worn with a hard hat) even though I
had the head band to rear because I was wearing a broad brimed hard hat
for a sun hat.

Many on the hill were using speakers and I commented at the end of
Saturday, "I sure is nice to have the receiving diversity when my sick
receiver can't hear the rovers." Funny thing, every body on the hill on
Sunday had headphones and I didn't get that diversity reception. Gotta
fix the transverter front end for the next time.

73, Jerry, K0CQ