[TenTec] Non-Ten Tec PS Switching Methods

Curt rhulett1 at consolidated.net
Sun Mar 28 11:49:21 PDT 2010

I power my 540 with an SEC switching power supply rather than using a Ten
Tec 262M or 252M.  This after reading about pass transistor failure issues
and retrofitting crowbar circuits it just seemed too much trouble and risk
to try using these old supplies.

The only issue I'm wondering about is turning off the rig by turning off the
supply.  Of course the rig slowly dies as the PS caps bleed off.  I guess
maybe the Ten Tec supplies somehow avoid this when mated with a 540.  What
are other folks doing if anything to connect up to a non-Ten Tec power
supply.

73, Curt KB5JO