[TenTec] headsets

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Fri May 21 19:27:04 PDT 2010

I agree the Yamaha set is a good value.  While I do
not think the Yamaha set is as durable as some other
sets i have, at that price, one can afford to wear it
out and buy another set.

KOSS also make a couple affordable headsets that, I think,
work as well or even better than the Yamaha set.   One
of their models,  the SB-40 is the splitting image copy
of the Yamaha set, and still uses a dynamic mic element,
whereas the Yamaha set now has an electret element - and
the dynamic mic element may be a bit easier to wire up
to the rig, and may not be as HOT an output, so it is
easier to set the AGC and all without having to reduce
the hardware gain from under the radio.  But these KOSS
sets are equally good values for under $50.

But (he said grinning...) there IS a GOOD REASON to buy
an expensive headset for my ham radio ... BECAUSE I LIKE
LUXURIOUS EXPENSIVE TOYS  - and the guy with the most
toys ... wins, right ?!?     ;-)

Parenthetically,  My Sennheiser set is WAY more comfortable
than the TT 777 or the Yamaha C500, and I can wear it far
longer than anything else I have tried, and hit as a
really good microphone.

BUT I CONCEDE WHEN WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A TRANSMISSION
AUDIO BANDWIDTH OF ONLY 2800 KHz, THEN IT IS ANOTHER
CASE OF OVERKILL, ANDY MOST ANY DECENT QUALITY MIC SHOULD
SOUND GOOD.

I have used the Yamaha set, and agree it gives excellent
results, but I would not trade my good Senhheiser set
for it.  But that is personal preference, not am argument
that one needs to spend more to get good audio.

Just MY take, anyway...

Jim Brown K9YC wrote:

   There is NO good reason to buy them for a ham station.

>best value, by far, AND the best performance for a ham rig,
is a Yamaha CM500