[TenTec] wither CW

Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed May 26 08:57:56 PDT 2010

My 2 cents worth:

Start with a straight key.
All cw ops should be able to send with a straight key.
That way, even in an emergency, you can tap a couple of wires together, etc.

Skip the semi automatic bug.  It will only delay you from becoming a good
operator with the electronic keyer.
You can always go back and play with it, later in life.

Next, choose your paddle.
Take time at a hamfest; if you can, visit one where vibroplex is exhibiting
(not to promote their brand, but they have all types of keys in their
program, so you can try them all).  Otherwise, just try to find a good ham
shop that has a variety.

Determine if you like the feel of a single paddle or a dual paddle better.
Determine if you like one handle (or plastic tip) on your paddle, or two.
Two paddles tips can still be just one actual arm.
Compare that to the two-arm version (squeeze keying)
This is the important decision.

Finally, choose type A or B, based on the paddle you are comfortable with.

I can key with anything.
I don't care if it has one or two handles, memories, self-completing,
whatever.
Heck, I don't even notice a difference.
Within seconds my brain seems to adjust to whatever is on the table.
I just use what's there when I go to the multi operator contests.

I'm not bragging, I want to make a point here:

I learned on the single paddle (single handle/arm).
That was all they had in the 60s when I learned to use it.
I've noticed that people who learned with the newer features, many of whom
are much better operators than me, are unable to work with the older
technology.  They can't key right with out dot memory or some other feature.

My conclusion: if you learn to key using the single paddle (as opposed to
squeeze keying), you will be able to use anything.
If you start out with squeeze keying, you will be spoiled for life.
It's a great way to key, maybe the best, but you are nailed to that
technology!

Your mileage may vary.....

73
Rick