[TenTec] wither CW

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed May 26 17:08:37 PDT 2010

On 5/26/2010 6:02 PM, N4PY2 wrote:

.  It is best to learn sounds immediately and never learn the
> sight of dots and dashes.

		YES...  THAT IS WHAT I MEANT when I said I was
		trying very hard not to create any look-up tables
		or visual cheat sheets.

		BUT THAT IS VERY HARD TO DO because it is difficult
		to HEAR THE DIFFERENCES at first, and it helps to
		know exactly what you are listening to by knowing
		how many dits and dahs are involved... but I am
		resisting doing that even though the longer letters
		and numbers tend to blur into sound-alikes in my head
		because I don't want to hit the speed "wall" later on.

		Farnsworth spacing - Koch method.

> The best way to learn code is with a computer program that teaches you
> sounds immediately.  You never have to do the double conversion.  Your speed
> will go up much faster when starting out this way.

		I am working with a computer program from FISTS
		and an old ARMY code course that uses only sounds
		to teach the characters.   I like the Army course the
		best as it has the cleanest, best formed characters
		and I can hear the separate dits and dahs better,
		and the teaching technique is such that it pounds it
		into your head.   The "instructor" on the record shouts
		at me like a Drill Sergeant barking instructions to
		new recruits.   You PAY ATTENTION for sure.