[TenTec] Need help understanding Orion II receive artifact

David Feldman wb0gaz at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 14:10:28 PST 2010

Recently used an Orion II (on CW), receiving on bands crowded with many very strong CW signals (and a fairly large antenna). I noticed sometimes a condition where the receiver seemed to momentarily lose sensitivity (when listening to a rather weak intended signal) at the symbol rate of a stronger signal just outside the DSP passband, as if whenever the strong out-of-passband signal was present, in-passband gain would decrease. This was significant enough to affect my ability to read CW from the intended (weak) station. Is there a name for this artifact? Can it be controlled by proper adjustment of the receiver (I was using the receiver at full RF gain, no attenuation, no preamp enabled.) Sorry if this has been discussed before (or discussed to death) as I don't read the reflector digest regularly.

Thanks,

Dave