[TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?

Scott Walker richardscottw at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 07:16:07 PST 2010

I use a 4229 Tuner that I put together many years ago.  Part of the
build process was winding a balun for the twinlead input of the tuner.
Being a ham means being unable to leave well enough alone.  I wonder
if replacing the 4229 stock balun with one of these might be worth the
effort:

http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-98/isolation-choke-balun-common/Detail

Specifically, the $71.95 Model 1114x - No Enclosure or Connectors
I have run twinlead into the shack, so I don't have a use for the
external version.  The manufacturer states that "This model provides
higher levels of inductive reactance and also holds the 50 input level
at much lower frequencies."

Has anyone on the list done this with their antenna tuner?
Thanks.
-Scott N3SW