[TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 12 16:22:17 PST 2010

I have taken standard Tee tuners with the common voltage balun of the
70's and instead, hooked up a short coax to their coax output
connector.  I run that to a Van Gorden Current balun, and I think it
works better.
It certainly has worked for many Field Days with our club tuners.  We
have several Van Gorden baluns which were only $14, the type in PVC pipe
with dipole connections by ring terminals.  The ring terminals I connect
to ladder line to fee Extended Double Zepp dipole antennas for our Field
Days.  We have used this with a couple of models of tuners from Dentron,
and also, other tuners such as Tokyo Hy Power, and B&W.

Most external baluns are of heavier construction and therefore lower
loss potentially, than built in baluns common to 1970's tuner designs.
(And those designs seem to still be in today's Tee Tuners).

The Tokyo Hy Power tuner was the exception, it was a Pi Network tuner,
with no balun provision internal.  Thus to use it with balanced line the
external Van Gorden balun was a useful conversion.

Stuart Rohre
K5KVH