[TenTec] Auto Tuners

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Mon Oct 4 04:08:36 PDT 2010

I forget the exact problem I noted when I first got the Z-100 autotuner 7
years ago, Roger, but I think it had to do with erratic tuning performance.
I contacted the manufacturer who said that power must be reduced with Ten
Tec rigs to avoid damage to the tuner during the tuning cycle when the
relays are switching. Since the tuner works well with QRP radios, nothing is
lost by tuning at lower power and I've had no problem matching anything from
160m-10m since. At that time, nothing was mentioned in their literature
about that restriction on power, but I think they may have added that
notation now, so check the manual on the 200w version. In any event, it is
probably a good practice to tune at as low a power as possible just to
protect equipment and be kind to the airways.

=Vic=
WA4THR