[TenTec] Paragon II / Other Opinions

K8JDC K8JDC at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 23 10:27:26 PDT 2010

Hi friends,

      I've been considering getting a Paragon II to use with MARS and to
just have another radio in the shack.  I have an Orion but it won't do
very many of the MARS frequencies of course.  I've never used a Paragon
(or Omni V/VI for that matter since those have similar controls) but
they impress me as a solid design with good performance that still has
repair support.  For this application, I also think I prefer a classic
design with knobs and buttons instead of a computer interface like say a
Pegasus or whatever.  This will be used almost entirely for SSB and I'm
looking primarily for a proven semi-modern solid-state radio that will
do MARS.

     By way of a comparison, the Kenwood TS-850S is in same approximate
price range on the used market and gets a lot of positive comments for
being a very good performer and I know some use it for MARS.  I've never
had a Kenwood but I respect many of the comments I have read about the
TS-850 although I think repair support is questionable.  I had an Icom
746 at one time and it was a good radio but I decided to buy American
radios so I sold it.  That's part of the reason I'm asking about the
Paragon.

      I've also considered looking for a used 200W rig although I think
this would bump it up to the next price class.  I've never had any of
those either but thought it would make an interesting upgrade to my
desk.  I haven't researched any of those to see how well they would do
on MARS frequencies.  I have a linear but have thought it would be nice
to have a 200W rig.  If it runs on AC power, that's fine with me.  I
won't be dragging this thing out into the woods.

      I thought I might ask for opinions on the Paragon II here since I
haven't played with one and solicit other opinions.  For the record, I
have not used a Jupiter either but I like the Paragon style more than
the Jupiter.  I just have never been too interested in the Jupiter.

Thanks and sorry for a long post but I wanted to frame the question a bit.

Dave
K8JDC