[TenTec] The Eagle

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sun Sep 26 17:27:37 PDT 2010

> I want the best darn radio I can get for the lowest possible price.
> I don't want to pay for options which I will NEVER use, like a Pan
> adapter.

That's the single-most reason for the I.F. output.  You don't pay for
something you don't need as you would with an internal panadapter.   The
addition of the I.F. jack adds extremely little production cost to add a BNC
or RCA jack and an RF source-follower.  I did it on another transceiver for
under USD $5.00 at my cost.  As a manufacturer, TT could leverage that for
even less.  But just having that port pays huge dividends to those who want
it.  Everyone wins: those who don't want a panadapter, those who do, and TT
who puts in little effort and cost to get it.  And, with enough interest, TT
could offer an external panadapter later on (like the Elecraft P3).  That
fulfills your concept of getting the product to market in a hurry.  Then,
worry about the add-ons later.  TT already has some experience with that
concept :-)

BTW, agree with you on the spare set of RCA jacks.  Even that would be
better than no port at all.  Although easy enough to add, I think many folks
will be apprehensive about drilling a hole in a new $2K rig as well as
potential concerns for voiding the factory warranty.

Paul, W9AC