[TenTec] The Eagle

Kevin Anderson k9iua at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 06:19:06 PDT 2010

The Eagle looks and sounds like a great rig.  Too bad I can't afford one.  I can't even afford a used Argo V - just can't justify that expense with the economy as it is.

But on the subject of that $500 radio...I've long wished that Ten-Tec could have put out an all-band version of the Scout, dispensing with the individual band modules.  I own two Scouts (a 555 and the QRP 556), and love the radio for their simplicity and near bullet-proof operation even with the compromises and less selective reception.  When TT came out with the Argo V, I had originally thought they had what I was looking for, but the inclusion of the DSP and such that made the rig "fancier" seems to also keep the price outside of my range.  But maybe I'm wrong, and the reality of radio production is such that it was the DSP that kept the price as low as it did, and that a basic solid all-band version of the Scout just costs that much, which unfortunately is beyond my means.

And so I will resign to keep using my Scouts, and popping band modules in and out.  And hope that the Eagle takes off and becomes successful, keeping Ten-Tec around for even longer.

Kevin, K9IUA
--
Kevin Anderson, Dubuque IA USA, K9IUA