[TenTec] The Eagle

Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Sep 27 11:35:29 PDT 2010

In 1996 or so I bought an Omni VI+.
I believe it was about $2200, maybe more.
I added 4 filters, maybe it was 5, and that took me to $2700 or so.

14 years later, the Eagle will come in with its filters at less than that.
You can even have a tuner if you want (I don't) at less than the O6's price.
I fully expect the performance to be exactly as it has been hinted to be,
around that of an OMNI VI / VII.

I find it curious that so many people have wish lists as long as your arm,
but want it to cost no more than a HW-8.

In the 14 years since buying my first VI+, I have probably owned about 15
other new transceivers.
I have purchased 15 new built-in keyers, about 5 built-in antenna tuners, 4
built-in bandswitches, three TV sets (PAN), and about 10 microphones, all of
which I did not need or want.
BUT I PAID FOR ALL THAT CR^P.
(And lost boatloads of money when I sold it).

I built my keyer myself in 1978.  It has time sequencing for managing the
amp and the transceiver switching.  I still use it as my primary keyer.
My headphones, mic and antenna switch (which switches the amp, not just the
transceiver), are all over 35 years old.
They'll do another 35 if I do.
My Model 238C can tune for the amp, not just for the transceiver.
5 or 6 times I drilled a hole in my radio and implemented an extra RX
antenna...myself.   Piece of cake for a ham.

JACK FINALLY BUILT THE RADIO I HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR SINCE ABOUT 8 YEARS!
THANKS JACK.

All I asked for was a simple radio with a Great receiver.
"Great" being defined as not falling apart in the presence of close-in large
signals, not the number of useless bells and whistles it has.

For all of you guys who want everything including the kitchen sink and the
bathroom sink, and don't mind buying them time and time again, you already
have plenty of choices out there. Besides Yaewoodcom, even Ten-Tec and
Elecraft offer them.

Guys like me have the K2 and the Eagle, and a stripped down K3 too, if you
can afford it.

APART FROM THE K2, WHICH YOU HAVE TO BUILD YOURSELF, THE EAGLE IS THE
*CHEAPEST* RADIO ON THE MARKET WHICH HAS A GREAT RECEIVER!  IT IS CERTAINLY
HALF FULL, NOT HALF EMPTY!  :-))

73
Rick, NJ0IP