[TenTec] My New Eagle vs. my old Drake

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 29 13:02:26 PDT 2010

If you look at the minimum detectable signal with the Eagle preamp ON,
the dbm to Volts conversion looks to give you 33 NANO volts as the
detectable signal.  This was derived from the Dbm to voltage table on
the Mini Circuits web site.

The figure Kris quoted was for the Eagle preamp OFF.   Yes, 0.5 micro
volt is plenty good on the lower bands where atmospheric noise may limit
what you can receive.  The preamp gives you full flexibility to match
the receiving conditions at any given time. (I suspect the Drake did not
have a preamp, but it has been 45 years since I operated one).

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH