[TenTec] eagle

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Fri Apr 1 19:38:20 PDT 2011

GPS with RTK like farmers use is quite accurate taking out the
variability of short term propagation and the randomness built into the
GPS system. Raw GPS varies the position while still and changes it more
when passing under bridges and around buildings. And a workable GPS runs
$80 and up and a digital stop watch can be had for $10. RTK uses a fixed
station that transmits the GPS data it receives so the mobile GPS can
correct for those vagaries. More expensive GPS can make use of some
public versions of those used for ship and aircraft navigation. I think
without those you will see s few mph more variation than your potential
speedometer error and more variation than your driving speed.

73, Jerry, K0CQ