[TenTec] Intermittent Omni VI+ rx problem & optical illusion fixed.

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Fri Apr 1 23:02:43 PDT 2011

On 4/1/2011 9:46 PM, Richards wrote:
> I think that is a good summary, Dave.
>
> I think Gerry makes good points about the number of buttons and the
> interplay between buttons and menu items.   I do like the fact that I
> can do many things in BOTH the menu and on the front panel.   I am one
> of the few Omni VII owners (I think) who like to run the radio in front
> panel mode (i.e., "Radio" mode)  and also on the computer using N4PY
> software.
>
> My ONLY  "complaint" or wish for change is to separate the AF and RF
> gain buttons.  I also use the RF Gain a lot, but would like to avoid
> pushing the knob before changing to the AF gain - I don't mind sharing
> the other knobs with multiple functions.   Certainly if that is my only
> quibble, I am OK with the whole thing.

Other than the display, rotary panel controls are the most expensive
panel components so they like to share them as much as possible. You
would have liked the later Collins S-lines with concentric RF and AF
gain knobs. Unfortunately, getting pots or rotary encoders with
concentric shafts these days is as difficult as finding chickens with teeth.

73, Jerry, K0CQ